View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: The idea of God being omnicient / omnipotent confuses me

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how humans could possibly be of any importance to God.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it would help to consider that humans are at least the master race of planet earth. Most of our environment seems engineered for our survival and prosperity. So then it seems like God designed the earth for the prosperity of humans.

[ QUOTE ]

In the bible, there are several times where God puts people to tests. If he knows everything, what is the point of putting anyone to a test? He knows what the outcome will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it helps people learn.

[ QUOTE ]

If God created humans, why do they have sins? Doesn't this imply God is imperfect? Maybe it implies he doesn't want humans to be good beings. If so, why does Christianity assign such importance to humans over other animals?

[/ QUOTE ]
To understand this, it really helps to know exactly what a sin is. A sin is something that defies the will of God. God created humans with the ability to make their own decisions, and so we have the option to defy God's will. We have sins, because we choose to.

[ QUOTE ]

Basically, I'm saying that if God is omnicient / omnipotent, what his creations do should be of no importance to them. They do what he wants them to do. There's no need for punishments or rewards or tests or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
This all makes sense if God does not love His creation. But He does.

[ QUOTE ]

What is God capable of doing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Anything that can be done. I don't want to say "anything," because people will come up with dumb things to say like "can God make three equal two?"

[ QUOTE ]

Can he renounce his powers?

[/ QUOTE ]
God can decide not to use his powers in any particular case..