View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to do this, but:

1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

I don't think ESPN did either of those, do you? ESPN slightly altered their plan, in a way which was not a big deal, and totally within their rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that you had to do that as well. And I hate to continue on with the semantics game, but:

from Webster:

Main Entry: 4lie
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English lige, lie, from Old English lyge; akin to Old High German lugI, Old English lEogan to lie
1 a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive b : an untrue or inaccurate statement that may or may not be believed true by the speaker
2 : something that misleads or deceives
3 : a charge of lying

They did 1b and 2. I bet when they made the qualifications, they didn't plan on throwing those 3 legends in there. However, once they added them, their original statements about who qualified becames lies. You know it. Now, if you don't CARE if they lied, that's another thing. But you cannot debate (with any type of logic) that they didn't lie. You could argue that it wasn't deceitful, but a lie doesn't have to be deceitful. Do I believe it was? Sort of. I also believe it was misleading. However, no matter how you cut the cake, they lied.