View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Is Mankind Smart Enough?

[ QUOTE ]
You are failing to think outside your own time frame. Technology is increasing at an exponential rate. Computers get faster and faster, while software gets better and better. Eventually, we will develop A.I. You can debate that it will take 300 years instead of 50, but to say it won't happen is very short-sighted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously misunderstand my point, so I will say it one more time. I think it is unlikely we will ever beat nature at its own game, adaptation. We may develop AI tomorrow, but I doubt it will ever be as good as nature's AI (us or our future iterations). We may develop machines that have some capacity for adaptation, but it will probably not be quick enough and random enough to survive major evironmental changes the way biological systems can. I think it is you that is being short-sighted. You look at the progress that is being made now and extrapolate it to where it has no business being. It took billions of years to make us, but you expect we will beat that in short order I guess.