View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Odd hold\'em structure

[ QUOTE ]
Explain to me how's it's different, Larry.

If you get involved on one street, it costs you 4 bets. Period. There's no limping and hoping it doesn't get raised this time, because it does get raised.

It's capped 6-ways preflop, and gets down to capped 3- or 4-ways at showdown.

I honestly don't see how this is different than the game I described in the original post. Please explain to me why I'm wrong.

As to why I posted it the way I did...I wanted to emphasize the essential features of the game, and pare away any of the extraneous distractions. At worst, the game in the OP was a slight abstraction and simplification of the game I saw, but it seems like a reasonable starting point to start thinking about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

"At worst, the game in the OP was a slight abstraction and simplification"

You're kidding me, right? SLIGHT simplification? You change the game completely with this little "abstraction."

If you think that this:

"The blinds are .25/.50. The small bets are $2. The big bets are $4. THERE ARE NO RAISES --- there's only a single bet on each street.

Let's say the game is played 9-handed, with 6-7 people in for $2 preflop and 3-4 staying for the showdown"

is ANYTHING like this:
"It's actually a .50/1.00 game with standard betting rules (one bet and 3 raises), but everyone's a maniac so it's capped on every street...typically one street per orbit isn't capped. So, it plays almost exactly like the game I described"

then you need to restudy raising in poker.

The only thing I'll say is, you play your made-up scenario a LOT differently that your "real" scenario.

Stick to the actual facts if you do this again- don't waste our time.