View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Party vs. PokerStars

they are getting up to 60k players during peak hours.
a year and a half ago I doubt they had even broken 30k players (but I haven't looked it up).

more players also equals more fish obviously.
if you have 50k+ players on a site they aren't all going to exactly be Howard Lederers.

The site has definitely grown...and the play is probably fishier too (although it's hard for me to be objective because I also happen to be a better player than I was then).

I don't think it has as much to do with Stars presence at the WSOP or Raymer's appearance at the Orleans. I think it has more to do with the continuation of the Moneymaker boom and all of their TV ads.

It's not JUST Raymer and Moneymaker (although they are significant factors obviously).

This July there were 5600 players in the WSOP main event.
A full 1100 of them...about 20-freaking-percent...were there via pokerstars (including yours-truly).

You get over 1,000 people walking around Vegas and the Rio wearing PokerStars gear and I think that's going to have an impact.
Also - they treat their players so freaking well.
I can't imagine many of the qualifiers NOT staying loyal to Stars and not continuing to play there.

They are currently doing a pretty decent job on their site of developing excitement for the WCOOP events.
The fields for these events are really big as are the prize-pools.

There are just very very few things that Stars doesn't do right.