View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Walking the Picket Line

Think of the following. The city decides it isn't going to buy fire resist gear for firefighters. Its going to close down firehouses. It is going to get rid of death benefits for firefighters who die on the job.

Should they still be forced to go to work? What determines if a union is being greedy or if they are making reasonable requests? You? Or maybe the union and management should be able to negotiate since they actually have a clue about the work and conditions. Maybe we should butt out of thier business. If union demands get completely out of control, they can replace the laborers with scabs.

Meanwhile, with the law in place, why shouldn't the city do all of the above things in the first paragraph. What is the consequence if the union isn't satisfied? Nothing. Give them one reason to give up on a single point.

If my company could force me to work under penalty of huge fines and jailtime, then they would probably cut my pay in half. After all what would I do about it?

Your right, when people took the job they knew this regulation was in place. But they also had a different contract. The whole reason this is a problem is their contract is up and they have to renegotiate. I don't think anyone would have a problem if the law stated, "if you sign a five year contract you aren't allowed to strike during those five years." People have no clue what the contract will be like five years after they start work, and it is very difficult to just up and leave a job after working there for five, ten, or fifteen years. A major portion of thier compensation is retirement and medical benefits that are closely linked to years of service. If they quit, they lose everything.

Knowing this, the employer has major power over future contract negotiations. Conditions that were once acceptable can be withdrawn by management with virtual impunity. The worker is caught in a jam. The new contract is different then what he signed on for, he can't quit, and he can't strike. When you put people in a situation like that, there isn't a whole lot they can do.