View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: n00b processor question. Yes, I\'m a huge n00b.

[ QUOTE ]
He is talking about SLI which is basically combining the performance of two video cards. Don't worry about this, it is way overkill for your application. Also, the Athlong 64 does not respond extremely well to overclocking, but you may be able to get a slight gain. If you are looking for gains to be had by a 64-bit chip over a 32-bit one, you aren't going to find much. Even the 64-bit windows is just kind of "meh" at this point and doesn't really do anything.

In terms of processing power, yes any Athlon 64 is gonna pwn a p4 1.8, but in practice, I can't really think of a situation where you would notice it. The processor is not a bottleneck in currect systems. If you are buying a new computer for various reaons though, yeah this is a good chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't really run Doom 3 on my current computer whatsoever. I'm hoping to do so on the new one.

I'm worried about hooking up my second monitor. It looks like the Chaintech 6600 GT has VGA, DVI and TV out.... but both my monitors are VGA. Actually, the nicer one has a couple other weird inputs, but I'm not sure what they are. RGB perhaps?

The way I've got it working now, I have a crappy old 2nd video card (PCI) installed to run the 2nd monitor. Would this still work with the new PCIe board? Or would that be suboptimal?

Edit: Obviously, I know that the PCI card wouldn't work in a PCIe slot... but there are regular PCI slots on those boards too.