View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Doyle\'s a scumbag?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

While it is paranoid to assume you are always being cheated in poker, it is incredibly naive to assume that cheating doesn't happen, especially at the high stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying "Matador-like" cheating or more subtle forms like soft playing other pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what "Matador-like" means. But I mean that there are people playing poker every day with the intention of cheating for profit. I think those people are greatly in the minority, and I think that if you sit in any small or medium stakes game, you could play your whole life, make a lot of money, and not worry too much about cheating. But as the stakes increase, the incentive to cheat increases, and with it, the concentration of cheaters also increases.

Basically, I'm saying this. If you want to play $40-$80 limit in LA, $15-$30 limit on Party, or $5-$10 blind no limit, then you basically don't have to worry much about cheating. You might get cheated once in a while, but overall it's not going to impact your bottom line much.

But if you waltz into a $300-$600 mixed game or a big no limit game where you don't know the players (or don't know them well), and you bring your $200k bankroll and start playing regularly, you're going to look like a mark to someone. And if you stick around long enough, some people are going to treat you like a mark until you wise up. That's not just the way poker is... that's the way life is.