View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Typical buy in for B&M 15/30 game?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I started last week with 300 bucks and managed to work it up to 1100 in low limit hold em and wanted to try taking a shot at the 15/30 game. 1000 enough to take a shot? Or should I grind out til I have about 2000 before taking a shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it. You could play PERFECTLY and lose 25 bets in 2 hours, which would basically bust you. I wouldn't do it until you had at least 6K.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF we Assume you are theoretically beating the table you sit at by a very healthy amount, start with 1100 would carry something like a 50% Risk of Ruin, by back-of-the-envelope calculations. That is something of a best-reasonable-case scenario, and assume you never withdraw money from that game.
Also that uses the formula in statking and GTOT, which is known to underestimate RoR, i don't know whether it gets more or less accurate for very small bankrolls. The number looks small to me.

If you're ok with the very real possibility of dropping money that you probably worked pretty hard to earn for a shot at the "big time", don't worry about all of us talking about high risk of ruin... how much risk you take is a personal decision.

2nd