View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Crazy bets by pro gamblers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. betting that John Hennigan couldn't live a month in Des Moines, Iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think I made it nineteen years in the DMI...

Edit: Wow, you had a slow high school. My high school had at least 4 guys under 4:30 all four years I was there....although maybe we were just fast.
Theodore Roosevelt HS Cross Country, represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not 100% sure nobody could do it... I stayed far away from all those running sports, since my best mile time ever was about 7 minutes. Easy to see why I stuck with Baseball as my main sport.

I made that comment because I sat there for about 5-10 minutes and tried to come up with anybody in my graduating class that I thought could do it. It's quite possible I'm forgetting to think about any 'track stars' or that I'm underestimating the skill of the good, but not excellent, track runners/Xcountry runners. I just know that I had a few gym classes with some of the 'faster' kids in school, and I don't think I ever witnessed anybody run significantly under 5. And the halfback I spoke of, I just figured he probably couldn't do it, since while he was one of the quickest guys I knew, he also made an effort for the majority of his high school career to bulk up, most likely in an effort to be somewhere near the size required to play college ball (he was TINY at 14-15)

If I had made the post with the intention of actually betting my money on it, I'd be considering retracting it, the more I think about it, but I think the fact that I'd even consider taking it is a testament to how wrong the 'anybody who was an athlete at all should be able to do it' comment is. It may've been misspoken though, the "any serious runner" part is probably right, or at least somewhat close.

I'm sure through my entire high school at any given time, there were at least one or two people who could do it.