View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Crazy bets by pro gamblers

Another story from Martin de Knijff's tournament diary in the swedish Poker Magazine:

"Talking to Phil Ivey on the phone. I call him "Hustler Phil" and he has a, for him, normal story to tell. Phil was in Arbua and played a round of golf with his friend Joe Cassidy (who also is a very skilled poker player). On the 15th hole Ivey is up $5000. Phil is a good golfer at a hcp of 25 and has 80 yards to the flag. He asks Joe what odds he gives Phil to hit the hole. "100 times" Joe says. "I want serious odds" Phil replies. "Ok I'll give you 150 times" "Nevermind, I'm taking the shot now". In the last second Joe says "I'll give you 200 times". Phil throws $1000 to Joe: "Look at this as a gift, the correct odds should be 2000:1, but I feel lucky today". He takes his shot. The ball bounces ones and then goes straight into the cup. Our call is resumed after three minutes of laughing. He and Barry Greenstein is in Tampa to watch Roy Jones Jr box before going to the US poker championships in Atlantic City. They travel by private jet."