View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: final table hand, please flame away

[ QUOTE ]
This hand was at the final table of the Empire 200k tourney.
I was 7th in chips at the time.

Pay scale was
10th 2k
9th 3k
8th 4k
7th-4th all go up 2k each
3rd 18 k
2nd 30k
1st 44k

Preflop raiser would min raise with a varitey of cards, last time I saw it he had KT, he would also do it with mid to low pocket pairs (saw 44 once)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t38634)
UTG (t151446)
UTG+1 (t48092)
UTG+2 (t29754)
MP1 (t59222)
MP2 (t123136)
MP3 (t22960)
CO (t32510)
Button (t70272)
SB (t34974)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t4000.

Flop: (t18000) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t4000</font>, MP2 calls t26634.

Turn: (t48634) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t48634) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t48634

his min bet on the flop was really odd, and I feel I got way out of line on this hand by reraising all in.

Would anyone fold this preflop? Should I have led out the flop? It was really hard to put him on an Ace with that weird min bet on the flop.

I feel like I did not make a good transition from playing at a 5-6 handed table for a while to going back to a full table.

MrX

[/ QUOTE ]

what was not clear in the hand history was that I check raised all after he min raised the flop. And he had A9, called and won.

I appreciate all the responses, this was a hand I felt like I butchered, especially being far from desperation time, and at the point where the pay scale really starts to escalate.

Preflop: I think preflep the call was right. I think pushing would have been a poor play.

Flop: I probably wussed and did not bet the flop, but my quandry was how much to bet without pot committing myself if he pushes, and what if he smooth calls, do I shut it down on the turn if I do not improve, basically inviting him to take the pot away from me.

At the time of the flop pot is 22000 and I have 30000 chips and villain has me covered.

I think it would be a crime to fold on the flop for a 4000 bet when the pot at that time is 22000. So if I do call preflop, I probably need to at least call the 4k flop bet and see what the turn brings..or..

Lead out, but leading out any more than 10k seems to pot comitt myself (and 10k comes close to that), so maybe a 9k bet on the flop would be best, and shut it down if he calls or pushes.

The play I made is a play I make a lot toward the late stages of a SNG which I believe is successful for me. The difference is that is in a 2-5 player table, not at a full table.

I have to admit I misinterpretted his min flop bet as representing a pocket pair, or a missed or two big cards like KJ, KT, JT, or even two random cards (which was not unlikely given the cards he had shown).

I think if I had to order my options now

1. lead out the flop 9k (please comment if you think a different amount is better)

2. check call the flop

3. check raise flop (which I still think given my read was not too bad a play, but prob not the best, especially given the pay structure and my position)

4. fold preflop

Or, am I over-valuing QJs preflop out of position here and just inviting trouble?

MrX