View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: avg\'s. since the crackdown

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of guys I think who did steroids are now injured. Also, a LOT are RPs who you wouldn't think, so I'm not sure about them.

I haven't noticed a real declination among players who I didn't expect to in skills, besides Giambi. Perhaps you could look at a guy like Chavez, but has he gotten any smaller? It seems to me that the jobs they've done to crack down shows that either they did a lackluster job and people are still doing it, or there weren't as many as we believed.

Edit- I'm looking through again and found Travis Hafner,

I'll look for some more examples. Casey Blake Victor Martinez

Blake, Martinez and Hafner all Indians and all experienced a large fall in all stats, coincidence?

Rafael Palmeiro, part of the steriods controversy this winter

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think it's solid evidence to pick 2 guys with one year of experience, one guy with 2 years of experience, and a 40 year old to illustrate a drop in performance? Hafner, Blake, and Martinez all have way too small a base line to make any kind of judgements at this point. Palmeiro is a fossil who's power numbers dropped off pretty hard last year.

I think Brett Boone is a better candidate but he's had some pretty big swings in the past. He's always seemed more of a "little" guy with big guy arms. Based on comments Roger Clemens made about Palmeiro early in their MLB careers I think Raffy was a legitimate candidate to be on the juice. In his first full 7 seasons he averaged just under 20 dingers a year then went on to average over 41 a year for the next 9 seasons. That kind of increase seems a little fishy.

I don't follow the NL much but a guy that screamed roids to me from the first time I saw him was Pujols. I've never heard his name in a steroid discussion before but good lord are his arms huge! On TV he just looks like he has too much muscle for his frame.