Thread: Push?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Push?

[ QUOTE ]
I appriciate your thinking here, it's only that we see it differently. I'd rather raise them big with complete trash, than pushing against a min-raise from UTG (you say yourself they are tight-weak. mini-raising is, IMO, a clear tell of a strong hand by a weak-tight player) with 99, and no, I'm not reading that backwards from the results. You are at best 50-50 here, and as I see it, with weak-tight players, chances for a big pair are pretty good here.
That's my take here. As a big stack, I will attack all the time, but will not let small-stacks good doubling-up chances like you gave them here. Playing *too* loose as big stack, in situations where people show strength, can lead you to lose too much of your chips-advantage.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, comments appreciated from anyone who doesn't auto-fold anything but AA to a minraise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Moreover, I've got a pretty good hand.

You kidding, right? Are you comparing 99 to AA? There are MANY hands in between, and you should play any hand according to the situation. If you don't understand this, you have a problem. 99, as much as you don't like it, is a VERY mediocre hand in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, thanks for setting me straight on that whole AA is different from 99 thing. You just plugged a big leak in my game.

As for the less silly things you say in your post, you skip THE most important aspect of the play entirely: You put tremendous pressure on the other player AND you have a strong hand HU. Of course it's not AA, but it's better HU than AK. And 4 handed, it's a pretty damn big hand, but ONLY IF YOU PLAY IT RIGHT. And just calling preflop shrinks it up a whole bunch. Go all in. Fold those mediocre aces and KJs and garbage like that. Hell, you'll fold TT and JJ and AQ and AJ enough to make this play highly profitable. But calling let's all of those hands in, and then what do you do when the flop comes K 8 7? You're screwed.

Maybe I just prefer to attack more than you short-handed, and that's fine, but your analysis of the situation is incomplete.