Thread: Push?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Push?

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you played right into his hands with your move here. Aggression should be used with thought. Why doubling up an opponent here, or at best - taking a coin-flip against him? that's not the right moment for it, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hold on a second. There was plenty of thought that went into this move. First of all, your post assumes he's going to call. Why? Is it because you always read a min-raise from a steal position to be a big PP? Yes, it was in this case, but reading the results and then working backward is cheating. If you really do play this way then you'll get chewed up short handed.

So, rather than just jumping to conclusions, let's think about the situation. For starters, we've got weak tight players here -- generally not a min-raise trapping bunch. Moreover, I've got a pretty good hand, but one that will almost certainly be very hard to play after the flop because of all the overcards. Just call preflop? That seems like a terrible play to me. Just weak. Re-raising has got to be the right move, and if I'm going to re-raise, there's not much sense in re-raising any less than his stack. Do that and boy, do I ever put my opponent to a decision. What hands would you risk your whole stack with here? AA, KK. QQ and AK maybe. That's it. And IF I do get called, and IF I do lose, I'm still by far the biggest stack.

So, comments appreciated from anyone who doesn't auto-fold anything but AA to a minraise.