View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Official Indie Starter Kit Thread (Calling all hipsters... sorry e

You seem to be working under the assumption that your opinion on this matter is relevant. I assure you, it is not.

No. It is far more than a twoplustwo consensus. When major music institutions (if you so wish I will link you articles from rollingstone and spin, in addition to allmusic) begin to classify these bands as 'indie' you must realize that that is now the definition the word has taken on.

I get it. Indie kind of sounds like independent. Its cute. But, sadly, thats not what it means anymore.

More information on the blurred lines between indie and maintream can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_(music)

ie: The term "indie" is often used to mean a sound that a musician presents, but when interpreted more literally, it is the way that sound is presented or made. "Indie" often refers to an artist or band that is not part of the mainstream culture and/or making music outside its influence. Though the sound of these bands may differ greatly, the "indie" definition comes from the do-it-yourself attitude and ability to work outside large corporations.