View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Be careful at the doctor\'s office!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A little tale from another discussion board, take heed:

This is a note to all of you admits who will have to fill out your medical forms this summer. Be careful what little boxes you check off.

Last summer when I was getting my checkup, I was going through the endless checklist of symptoms, and for some reason I was feeling very thorough. When I got to "blood in stool," I thought hey, a couple times I think I've had a little blood on the TP, or something like that. So I checked the box. This became the subject of a 30 minute discussion with my GP. Once I realized that he was concerned I tried to do damage control, but it was too late. No amount of "it only happened once or twice that I can remember" and "it wasn't very much" made a difference. I walked out of the office with an appointment to see a proctologist and receive something called a flexible sigmoidoscopy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your doctor is practicing at least ten years out of date.
There is no good excuse for doing flexible sigmoidoscopy (in comparison to colonoscopy) today. A colonoscopy has the benefit that you will likely get midazolam for the procedure. This has the neat effect of allowing you to still be conscious during the procedure (important if repositioning is required), yet being unlikely to remember the experience. It temporarily prevents new memories from forming. You still have the horrible prep beforehand, hoewever.

If you are 50 years old (unlikely on this board) or older or have a family history of colon cancer, then scoping was probably the right suggestion from your doc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?