View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

[ QUOTE ]
No, the argument is not that black people are taller than white people. I am not sure where to go with this arugment If you saying that athletic ability is all a product of hard work and not biology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that athletic ability isn't the product of biology; just that, I've seen no biological evidence to suggest that black people have more athletic ability than do whites, short of exactly what Grey cited -- people from historically warm weather climates have longer appendages and are built less stoutly to survive warmer temperatures, whereas people from colder climates developed shorter, stockier bodiers to survive cold weather.

[ QUOTE ]
Since you are saying that hard work is main factor in determining who becomes a great athlete, what is your explaination for the previous stat I mentioned: 64 out of 64 NFL starting cornerbacks are black. Do white players simply not work hard enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. As Grey mentioned, there could be many reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that there simply wasn't one white guy in the entire country who worked hard at being a good CB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there are plenty of white CBs who worked hard at being good. So no, I'm not saying that.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing that an educated person believes that the reason that some people can jump 4 feet off the ground is simply because they practiced a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have a hard time believing that?

[ QUOTE ]
There are certain athletic abilities that you are born with, and cannot be improved by a significant amount. Are you aware of one person who cound't jump a lick when they were 16, then they practiced for a few years and as a result, they could do windmill dunks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not aware of anyone who can do a windmill dunk that isn't playing basketball at a high level. So to answer your question, I don't know anyone who DOES jump extremely high, plays basketball regularly, and CAN do a windmill dunk -- except for professionals.

I'm not a personal trainer, but I'm somewhat certain that the vertical leap is a skill that can improved with training.