Thread: culinary school
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: culinary school

Geormiet, I'm excited about your interest, but you've got to ask yourself just how serious you are. For instance, Delgado Community College. I lived and worked in NO for a year and had the pleasure of working with several Delgado students/grads. Here's what you should know about that school: It is not classroom intensive. You have only 1 (or 2?) days of classes a week, but you are required to get a 4 day a week job. Your employer will likely ask you to work a 40 hour week. On top of school, that means working 6-7 days a week, 50-60 hours. However, the price is right (I'd guess around 6K per semester?).

I loved the CIA. However, it is also time intensive and expensive. My education cost $48000. That was a 2 year programe and the price includes housing. It is the best culinary school in the world, and I can't say enough about the quality of my chef/instructors, classmates, facilities, and my education. The CIA is the only selective culinary school in america (admits about 70%) as it is the only non-profit culinary school (community colleges aside). They also offer a 38th month degree that tacks on a 17month BA program which is mainly liberal arts classes and some business management classes geared towards running your own restaurant. The CIA requires that you work in a professional kitchen for 6months prior to acceptance.

Most culinary schools will cost btwn 24K-50K, but you'll want to do research. For quality of education, there is no Harvard to the CIA's Yale. Your Emorys, Vanderbilts, USCs, and Tulanes are New England Culinary Academy, California Culinary Academy (San Fransisco), and Johnson and Wales. The Le Cordon Bleu program is also good, and has schools in a half dozen cities.

Becoming a professional cook requires dedication. First, you must love not just cooking, but working in a professional kitchen. However, you mention owning your own restaurant. Going to school to learn cooking basics and working in a professional kitchen is an excellent idea. You want to know what your Head Chef is doing, and know if he can be saving you money in some places, etc.

Your 3 questions: Good school will cost $40K+. Students at ANY school will be highly committed, passionate people ranging in age from 18-60 with a tilt towards 18-22. Culinary schools, other than the CIA accept any student with the money or the loans to get in who also meet work experience requirements (in some cases). I would recommend the top teir of schools which will give you 5days of classes 7 hours a day.

Hope this helps you decide if this is an idle dream or something you'd like to pursue.