View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Two More Questions for Not Ready

[ QUOTE ]

1. Have you read the debate between Peter 666 and the other Catholics

[/ QUOTE ]

I've very quickly scanned some of the posts. I really don't have anything to comment on about it and am not sure of the details of the controversy.

[ QUOTE ]

2. You seem to be a fan of CS Lewis. So what about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

"CS Lewis thinks that people of other religions who believe in their religion with a spirit of Christ are saved."

Lewis is somewhat hard to pin down on particulars of theology. This was intentional on his part. He did not consider himself to be a theologian and he was very ecumenical. If I had to guess I think he would have said no one can reject the Gospel and expect to be saved but that people who never heard the Gospel preached would be judged by God according to the light they had - and though this is somewhat vague, I doubt he would be willing to go beyond that. I would agree with him as stated. Anticipating, I would add that preaching the Gospel to people will not cause someone who would have been saved without it to then be lost. If they don't respond to the Gospel they would not respond to God in any sense. I think that concept can be supported from Scripture indirectly, but the Bible never says absolutely what happens to those who don't hear. So the final word on it is simply what I've said before - God is just and loving.