View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Two More Questions for Not Ready

I decided to reply and bump this thread since NR appears to be temporarily MIA. I am going to give my opinion on the questions.

#1. On the surface it might appear that NR is further away from Peter666 than myself and others. But there are key similarities in their religious outlook. The most key of these is of course that they both are "protesting" against the Church of Rome by their dissents from its views and practices. Thus they are placing personal judgements or the judgement of a minority over the that of the Church. Another similarity is their more restricted views of who can be saved. Note that while Peter666 would agree that through baptism of desire and conformance with the moral dictates of the natural law, that non-christians might be saved, he has nonetheless seemed to assert more limited views of God's mercy, especially regarding those who actively practice a different religion. I could perhaps be wrong about this.

#2. While NR might admire C.S. Lewis, who as an Anglican was closer in theology to the catholic church than the protestant ones to which NR would most readily identify, NR has stated that he doesn't expect to find perfect doctrine in any denomination, and that is that there is not nor need there be one true christian denomination of all that exist that has the 100% truth. Thus he is comfortable in picking and choosing those theological views that he personally agrees with and rejecting those he doesn't So it would be the same with the views of C.S. Lewis.

We have liberal catholics in the church who do not accept all its doctrines, and we conservatives have a derisive term for them: "cafeteria catholics". Those types of catholics explify the protestant ideal of personal interpretation.

I do not mean to imply by my remarks that any christian denomination that disagrees with doctrines of the catholic church can always be labeled "protestant". Clearly the Orthodox churches do not fall into that category. Nevertheless, Peter666 and NR would both agree that they don't like various but different theological positions and worship practices of the Catholic Church.

Regarding C.S. Lewis, any christian who has not read his Screwtape Letters should do so. It is a masterpiece of insight into human psychology and how over a lifetime a series of rationalizations and hypocrisies can equal de facto rejection of God and the demands of the gospel despite outward public practices and professions of belief.