Thread: Deepish KQ Hand
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Deepish KQ Hand

Villain's play in this hand is really weird. His min raise on the flop followed by the turn check makes me think he either has a weak queen or a draw. With a weak queen he might raise the flop because he figures he's winning, but then when you call, he gets scared and shuts down. With a draw, he might be raising for a free card (not a typically play in no limit with these stacks, but on Party I don't see it as out of the question). Draws are clubs and 56. If he had clubs, he would probably check the turn. If he had 56 he might check as well, figuring you are not super strong and can't call a turn bet. When he pushes the river, I think he has QJ a lot here. But I also think he could have clubs here. You're getting 2-1 on the call, so if I had any inclination that he had the capability of bluffing here I would call. Otherwise I would fold.

I think if I played the hand, I'd probably push this on the flop in a $5 Party rebuy. I think you get called by hands you beat and draws.

Like I said, if this has guy a missed-draw bluff in his arsenal, this is a standard spot for it, and I would call here, prepared to be behind QJ frequently, but not 2/3 of the time. I'd be surprised if he had a hand that beat you other than QJ or 56, but on Party, who knows.

EDIT: As I think about this more, I have to throw JJ out there as a strong possibility. Here might be his thinking: OOh, JJ. NICE. UTG raise, gay, I guess I better just call. Flop Qxx. Not bad, 1 overcard, he probably has AK. I'll just min raise to see where I'm at. He called, crap. I guess I better shut down. I'll check the turn. River J. Woot woot. I bet if he has a queen he'll call a big river bet. I'll push, that way he might think I'm bluffing. Boo. He folded. Guess he really did have AK. Oh well.

This makes more sense since you seem to imply that he is fairly tight (maybe I am misinterpreting passive as tight here), who I don't really see coldcalling 56 much if ever, and QJ not that much either.