Thread: PF Stuff
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: PF Stuff

Q, in situations like these I basically treat the TAGs iso raise the same way I would treat a normal raise from a really bad LAG or even maniac--they're going to be on very similar ranges. Of course, this changes somewhat if the poor player in MP is an out & out calling station, as a good TAG won't bother to iso raise a hand like T9s against a guy that's never going to fold K high. Anyway, I'm only looking to get involved in the hand if I believe that I can win the pot unimproved.

The TAG on your right is going to realize that your 3-betting range will expand as well because of the table dynamics, but he's also going to understand that you're probably not 3-betting with total junk. Both because he is in the hand with something that he at least considers worthy of playing HU vs. the fish, and because the fish ain't folding a whole lot so you're probably going to showdown regardless. So unless the TAG really does have a premium hand and/or connects with the flop, you have to anticipate him folding on the flop, or maybe the turn if the flop looks harmless. In that regard, 3-betting with QJo may be a good move because it's likely to get the TAG to fold a weak ace or king UI.

But, you still have to get past the loosey in MP, who is not going to even be thinking about what you have most times. He's probably going to play a small pocket pair, a paired card on the flop, or an ace high the exact same way postflop--call down. With a hand like AJ, which is going to win a lot of pots when it connects and a few when it misses, I'm willing to put in the three bets preflop and play some poker. But when I'm only holding Q high, I'm not so willing...and I'm also considering the metagame vs. the TAG, who I want to continue respecting my 3-bets. If I open up my range too much, eventually he's going to call down with something and my gig is up.