Thread: The Bible
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 05:10 PM

Default The Bible

Whether you're a believer or not, there's no denying that the bible is the single most widely read piece of literature in history. I've decided it's about time I read it. Cover to cover. I would be remiss to have never read such an important and magnificant book. I also read "A tale of Two Cities", for much the same reason.

It's probably inevitable that I'll get to parts that I won't understand. If this happens, I'm wondering if someone on here would be kind enough to help me out?

IMPORTANT: Whatever explanation you provide, I'll immediately accept it and move on. I am NOT looking to get into debates or prove any points. I just want to make sure I'm understanding what I'm reading. If someone would be willing to do this (should I need it), I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure it would be acceptable to post such questions on here as this is not (supposed to be), a religion forum. Also, like I said.. I'm not looking to have it opened to debate. On the contrary... I want to form my own opinions especially without atheisitic bias.

I'm going to begin reading after the 1st. I'll admit that I'm going into it thinking I'll be reading about the greatest fictitious saga ever told. I can't help this based on what I (think) I already know the contents to be. But I'm going to maintain an open mind throughout. I am not going to "scoff". When I'm done (if anyone's interested), I'll report back on what I was able to glean from the most popular literature ever written. This is just something I want to do for myself. So no snide comments please.

One last question: I have a copy of a Catholic bible that says the Gregorian edition. It was my father's and I think given to him as a child. It's like 50 years old and I believe it contains both the old and new testaments. It's a big red book and beautifully bound. Would this be the right one to read for a Catholic? Is this sufficient to get the gist from most bibles? Thanks.