View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Goals vs. Achievements

Dear 2+2ers,

I want to share with you something I've been thinking about for a while.

Each month, between the 1st and the 10th, we get the classic "<Insert month> Goals/Results" threads, in which people who have had a positive ROI month will boast their winnings and their stats, and in my opinion, have a giant e-penis circlejerk.

I remember loathing those threads when I ran bad, so I made a pact with myself. I told myself I would never post my stats/winnings even if I ran on a heater the size of South America, giving me an ITM of 100%, and a finish distribution of 100/0/0/0.

For those who are wondering, I am doing okay, and no, I'm not on a cold streak or a losing month or a giant cooler. I'm doing just fine, thank you very much, I'm not making this thread out of spite or bitterness.

Gigabet's famous "Almost there with Success and Failure" got me thinking.

While some people might benefit from setting goals from themselves and trying to make them, setting goals in an environment where simple variance can be the difference between your new car's down-payment and not making rent can cause severe morale loss.

Goals + Poker = the foundation for the sense of "failure".

So, in this thread, for a change, set aside your $ winnings or your $2000/hr rate, and forget what you had set as a goal for the past month. I want you to tell us what you feel you achieved recently.

Did you take a shot at a new level? Thats an achievement -- it doesn't matter if you got a -100% ROI at it.

Did you have an epiphany about bubble-play while taking your morning shower? Achievement! Tell us about it.

You set out to play X, but you played X-10? NO! don't tell us about that, there is no failing in this thread.

Just say you played X-10 games, thats your achievement.

You played 1000 hands of 10/20, regardless of outcome.

Please stay away from giving numbers that will give anyone with a calculator your exact winnings.

The whole point is to avoid having a goals/results thread.

As our dear *COUGH*friend*COUGH* Michael O'Malley would say: Enjoy!