View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Good Books, Bad Books

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I read a couple of threads where people compare Yao's book to SSH. I really think it's apples and oranges. They both cover counting outs and equity and so forth, but then they really branch off. SSH is about adopting a winning philosophy, and then applying that philosophy in a case study (loose opponents). It tells a cohesive story, but doesn't emphasize how things change when the assumptions change.

Yao's book does the opposite. It's short on story and philosophy, but long on describing how different variables affect your decision-making. I think both books should be read by anyone aspiring to play limit hold 'em seriously, and neither book is in any way a replacement for the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little more verbose than my comparison when asked. I have gone through both a couple times (and more). When folks ask about the difference between the two, I break it down pretty succintly:

SSH - Strategic
Yao - Tactical

Pithy and certainly not all encompassing descriptions, but clear enough to show that you want both. Both are excellent works and well worth the money I paid for them.