View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Difficult hand - all diamond flop, turned a set against the chipleader

Blinds are 150/300 and I have 16000. 450 players left in a $10 NL tourney on Party and I have the chipleader of the tourney with 24000 two to my right. I'm not looking to tangle much with him since he is the only player at the table that can bust me. He limps UTG+1 and the next player min-raises to 600 and I call with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Obviously I'm looking to hit a set on the flop and fold to any action. Folded around to the BB who calls and the big stack also calls.

Four players see a flop of J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and it is checked around. I was last to act - should I have taken a shot at this pot here? I feel like any weak bet will be tested by the big stack so I checked. Pot is 2550 at this point so would a bet of 2000 taken this down most of the time? BB had 7400 and the original raiser had 10000 left.

Turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I hit my set but I am very unsure what to do. BB checks, big stack bets 800 and the original raiser folds. I reraise to 3000 expecting a reraise or fold behind me, the BB folds and the big stack flat calls. At this point I really have no idea what he has with that call. I suppose the nut flush could play it this way but it seems like a baby flush would reraise to make me pay for a flush draw if I have the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Maybe he has JJ, 77 or 55 - I suppose I would play those hands that way. He could also have some sort of straight draw like 68 or 34 but that seems unlikely Comments on my turn reraise? Is he calling to set me up for a river bluff?

River is the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Big stack pushes and I am sick. I really am confused now. A baby flush might make this play but certainly would have reraised on the turn. The nut flush would probably check since I reraised on the turn and will probably bet here as well. Would a higher set or a straight push here or check and call my very likely value bet?

I just didn't have a good feeling about calling so I folded. I had 12400 in chips left which was a healthy stack so I decided the risk wasn't worth it. Was this a very weak fold considering I would be a huge chipleader if he is on a bluff and I win the hand? I made my decision to fold based on the fact that the only hand I felt I could beat was a bluff. I guess my difficulty lies with deciding if calling here to win a huge pot outweighs the times I am wrong about the big stack bluffing in this spot. Doesn't seem to me that the big stack would risk 60% of his remaining stack on a bluff here to win a pot of 8550. Maybe that is a huge leak in my game. Help!