Thread: A Gorie Hand
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: A Gorie Hand

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting a TAG UTG+1 raise from the blinds, huh? Not to sound like Mike Sexton, but I don't think it's +EV to do this when you're "at best a coinflip" and OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Notice we're not HU, so the term "coinflip" doesn't make much sense here. You don't compare your hand to each individual opponent here, you have to analyze them all at the same time to compare the equity. We may very well have the second best hand, which is fine because we will still make money off of all the other hands in the pot (if we do in fact have the second best hand). Here's a link that proves why. Ramming and Jamming Preflop

An extensive simulation with AQs vs JJ. Even though we're a slight dog to this hand, with other players in the pot it is MUCH MUCH better to 3-bet. Interestingly, he also does a simulation with AQs vs QQ and found that it is more profitable to reraise preflop.

At first I hated gorie's pf 3-bet but I don't really think it was a big mistake. Our hand is probably a little too weak but I honestly don't think it costs much in the long run.