View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Going through the motions...

The average persons life is often a cyclical and repetitive set of actions. If nothing different happens, these actions begin to develop a rut. You're experiencing a rut right now, and its perfectly common.

They're hard to get out of because of precisely those things which create them: you can't just quit your job and go skydiving in Europe. You can't hit the reset button and start over new, as some can when early on in life. This can also lead to feelings of being trapped in this rut which takes a psychological toll.

Sometimes little things can break you out of them--finding a new hobby, making a small but consistent change in your routine....finding a new bar maybe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

At times I feel similarly. Its probably just because I just hit the quarter century mark, and am having some sort of psychological crisis....if only there was a forum for me....

But anyway, for a variety of reasons, these feelings can start weighing you down, and I'm convinced that those who can't deal with these feelings well can ulimately fall into depression. Perhaps this is like an early mid life crisis for you...

Is there anything you could do now that you've wanted to in the past but have never done? Learn how to play an instrument? Learn how to cook something? Attend a certain annual event you never seem to get to?

Start doing one of these things, whether its little or requires some planning. This will break up the monotony and bring something different into your existence....and whatever it is, write a trip report about it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: or you could just read what Blarg wrote [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]