View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: STT basic strategy checklist

[ QUOTE ]
Levels 1-3, conserve your stack. Levels 4 up, gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gamble? 2+2ers don't gamble. We outplay our opponents.

You guys are good players. I don't understand why you are afraid to play hands with bad players. Given the meager stack sizes, you can only really "play" in the first couple levels, so don't waste this opportunity by folding. If things go well and you build your stack, now you have enough chips to "play" in levels 3+ too. You only have 20 hands or so to accomplish this, so there's no time to wait for a monster hand.

I used to play super tight early too. I then started playing more NL side games and actually learned how to play NL. Since I'm a better player, why wouldn't I want to get involved in more hands early, especially when in position?

Once I get to the middle levels and still have only 800, my ability to "play" is quite limited and therefore my advantage is decreased. At the higher levels, you basically "push and pray" and I have no advantage over someone who has no poker skill, but knows how to steal blinds.

I've also read Harrington on Holdem and agree with Harrington. Early on, I am going to pick good spots to try to build my stack. Once I get down to 600, I'll put the brakes on, but until then I'll be calling with a lot of hands in position and trying to buy pots when my opponents show weakness post-flop.

A good player is able to do this without putting their whole stack at risk. I don't understand when 2+2 players are afraid to play hands like AJ in position because they don't want to get into trouble with it. Who says you have to get in trouble with it? If the flop comes, A54 there's no law saying that you have to put all your chips in when someone raises you.