View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: I get very upset with myself when I make a bad play ...

I don't get it.

Everybody makes mistakes.
I believe Barry Greenstein has said that he has made mistakes EVERY session.

It's not just 20/20 hind-sight either. His call on the turn was simplky a bad call that he KNEW was a bad idea.

his other play has been criticized too...but we're just talking about his perception here...he KNOWS he played it bad. It wasn't hind-sight. Hopefully he knows that if he somehow lucked-out against an opponent with a lower-pair (or perhaps if he caught his outs) that he STILL knows he made a bad play and got lucky.
He knows he didn't have the kind of read to justify putting his opponent on a lower-pair...but he called anyway and got lucky...even though he made a bad play.

Anyway - I suggest having an awareness that you are ALWAYS going to make mistakes and being comfortable with that.
After that then you can always think about ways that you could have played better and this hopefully leads to you being a better poker-player.
If you are comfortable with the knowledge that you will ALWAYS be making mistakes then you can be more forgiving of yourself when those mistakes take place and you can take steps to advance your game.

I also agree with the general assessment that Biceps would be wise to simply consider improving his game and not just dismissing some of the ideas and knowledge of the 2+2 NL gang (which I understand is pretty strong).
Yes, there's more than one way to play and be a winner.
But some of those guys have proven to be long-term big winners and know the math and the concepts extremely well. If enough of them tell you that it's just a bad idea to play that way then one would be wise to at least consider that one's own ideas to the contrary are very possibly incorrect.