View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

We have made multiple trips to the bank to deposit money into his college or car fund. Even though he would like the money himself and do what he pleases he's happy that the money is being put away for him for future endeavors.
I will not allow him direct access to the money.

Twenty games a week may sound like a lot, but he's a kid whose bouncing a basketball or hitting a baseball a good portion of the time, so I don't see this interfering with other activities. He's a very good athlete and he love's to fish. He really doesn't like to play video games at
all. He finds it boring. So from my perspective I don't
see this affecting his development. His math skills have gotten a whole lot better as a result of poker. He can
multiply and divide big numbers and he understands percentages. He still doesn't quite understand pot odds but we're working on it.

He began playing gin about four years ago and he used to beat his grandparents for a quarter a game religiously. They refuse to play him now because they lose almost everytime.

I will not let him play unless I'm around and I am always in the room with him either reading or watching sports and I'm always sitting next to him so I'm not using poker as a substitute for parenting.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bruce