Thread: STOLEN!
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: STOLEN!

i stole two small boxes of ti-83 and ti-89 calculators from a college textbook store i worked at a few years ago. i was in charge of electronics inventory so it was pretty easy. the store was moving locations basically, so people were lugging bins of stuff down the street constantly to the other store location. one sunday morning while doing electronics inventory in the basement, i put the two boxes in a plastic bin, went upstairs, walked past the cashier, out the front door, and then instead of turning down the street towards the other store i put the boxes in an alley behind the store instead and brought the bin back in. then on my lunch break i carried the boxes to my car. a few months later i sold them on ebay for about ~$1000 profit, when i needed money for rent.

i did get pretty nervous and paranoid after i'd done this, especially when a couple days later my boss asked me to go and count our entire calculator stock. i thought maybe she wanted me to put down numbers in writing, and then she'd have someone else count them and see the inventory was off. but in actuality it was due to the fall semester starting soon. there is a lot of theft of calculators during book rush, so she wanted to get an accurate count before anything got stolen.

i did this on literally my last week of work at this place, and yes you could describe it as a low point in my life. i was working a horrible job and living at home with my parents, however, it was while avoiding work at this job that i read a ny times article about chris moneymaker.