View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: If Bush Was A Liar On Iraq Then So Were the Libs

[ QUOTE ]
I posted the joint resolution passed by Congress authorizing military action by Bush. In that resolution it is stated that there is a link between Al Qaeda and Hussein. May or may not be true but the Democrats in Congress can hardly say that they were duped by Bush unless they think the voting public are total idiots. The Dems in Congress are just as accountable for their actions as Bush is for his. I also note that a significant number of Democrats voted against authorizing military action in Iraq while the same can't be said about the Republicans. But from all we know about the Democrats in Congress from their statements in Congress prior to the Iraq War, they basically believed that Hussein had WMDs and was a threat to develop nuclear weapons. Playing polictics is no excuse for not being accountable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The debate is whether the Dems lied to us and/or whether Bush lied to us. I don't think the Dems lied to us: They don't have the motive. Nor am I positive that Bush lied to us. He may have just been duped by poor intelligence. Nonetheless, for the sake of precedence, 2 questions need to be asked.

1) Did anyone within the administration know that the Nigerian document was plausibly a forgery? And if so who?

2) Did anyone within the administration know or strongly doubt that there was no link between Al Qaida and Saddam? And if so who?

As I re-read your post, I am forced to reconsider. The Dems have the same access to the CIA and other intelligence sources as Bush. A diligent Senator can get just as much info as can Bush. So why didn't they? Perhaps, other questions need to be asked.

1) DId the Senate minority leader seek CIA confirmation that the Nigerian Document was valid? And if no then why not? And if he did, what did he find out and from whom? Should he have dug deeper, etc, etc?

2) Did the Senate minority leader seek CIA confirmation that Al Qaida and Saddam were in cahoots? And if no then why not? etc, etc.

I want to know who knew what and when did he know it. And if he didn't know it then why. The OP has a good point, as do you. And, after re-considering, I am left wondering how can incompetence check incompetence? Is there no one to blame but ourselves? Or were all the false implications just an honest mistake.