View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: The Golden Age of Music

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong, I think there is some good music being made today, but did time really have to pick out the Beatles, Zepplin, the Who, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, the Rolling Stones...

Now I wasn't alive back then, but I have a hunch that these bands were pretty big back in the day and I doubt you had to look for it in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

<Disclaimer, very stoned response, likely to be complete gibberish>

These are definitely amongst the greatest bands ever, just like you could probably add Bruce Springsteen, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine to the list if you were to continue on with the best rock of its particular era, that will still be played years from now on rock radio (as long as it exists, at least).

The arts are going through revolutionary changes due in large part to technology, the two most affected areas being music and film. These are becoming so accessible to the average person that the boundaries are rapidly expanding for what might be popular enough that the artist can make a good living.

Certainly, the music industry will still cater to the 13-18 year old market, historically their most profitable. But, the increased niche fulfillment by such things as satellite radio and the internet has allowed for the talent to also rise to popularity, although sometimes measured in very different ways.

Basically, the biggest thing about artistic fields is that what is wildly popular at the time won't last if it isn't backed by considerable talent. Anyone can get lucky with a catchy tune, over the course of history, but few can produce a large volume of work that will remain popular to future generations. This is also the music that serves as the foundation for what comes next.