View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 25th anniversary of John Lennon\'s Death, what were his 3 best song

When I was in 6th grade back in the 70's, student protest was still thought of as a way to let our young voices be heard....I remember learning in class one day about what was going on in Vietnam...and listening to various protest songs....I had heard about the war before, of course...it was all over the television...but I had no clue what it was about.

In school - and through artists like Lennon, CSN&Y, etc...we finally learned - and a number of us were outraged. Yes, 6th graders were outraged. It wasn't that big leap to see ourselves in just a few years having to go over there and fight and die for an unjust cause.

My friends and I organized a protest with about 5 other schools in the area...at a designated time, everyone in school stood up from their desk, went outside and lined the streets...we then held hands and sang "Give Peace a Chance," over and over. It got some National news attention, I remember....

Anyway...since that moment, I can't think of any other song I have ever heard that would elicit that strong of a reaction from me. The song is so simple, yet so powerful.