View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Favorite ignorances

Because I could know more about them, and that might genuinely help me like them more. So my dislike could be partly based on ignorance.

Football is a good example. There may be something a little ignorant in my saying it's dull, but frankly, it's so dull to me that I don't care to invest more time in a dull thing ot make it more exciting.

It's socially ignorant in another way, too. Depending on what your goals are.

Football is practically a reason for living, for many people. They don't care if teachers get fired at their schools, if they get a nicer football field. Screw education! They don't care if their city goes bankrupt funding a new football stadium. It's worth it because to them, the social value of watching football with their buddies at home or going to a football game is almost impossible to top as a social activity. Not giving a crap enough to suffer through a lifetime of football games excludes you from this all-important social activity with a lot of people, and being excluded is no fun. It could even be career-damaging. Yet liking something that sucks isn't easy. Not trying to like it, or not trying to fake liking it, could be seen as a sort of social ignorance, because the game is not just the game, it's a centerpiece of social life for many people -- heck, practically a religious experience. Telling people you don't like football is, for some of them, like saying you peed on Jesus or joined the Communist Party or NAMBLA.