View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Where does the money come from?

This has been bothering me for quite a while. I don't understand where the money comes from in poker. I started my poker career with $40 and told myself if I lost it I would just stop and never play again. In my first day of playing I lost $12 at .05/.10 limit. The next day I went "WTF?!" went out and bought Winning Low Limit Hold'em (I know, a 2+2 favorite). After reading that book I improved my game, continued to study, bought more books and turned into a winner. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I imagine money comes from people that have a high disposable income and feel like playing poker? I'd also think people with gambling problems donate quite a bit of money, and maybe some people enjoy losing money???

My problem is that when I think where the money comes from I am completely unable to take the point of view of a loser. When I try put myself in their place to understand what's going on in their head my brain completely rejects the idea. I suppose that's not a horrible thing. I imagine I’ve built up a belief in my mind that ‘playing poker’ == ‘winning money’. Thinking about it more I suppose the opposite could hold true and those people like playing poker so nothing seems out of place in their mind? Or people get addicted to winning to the point where it clouds their logical ability to see that they are a net loser, or they just don’t care?

I’m bothered that I don’t understand where the money comes from especially because I feel that I’m winning lots of it. I was hoping that someone would hopefully be able to tell me in more definite terms of who the losers are, why they play and why they continue to lose.