View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Head Case/Terrible Bankroll Management

I agree that you should stop playing at least for a while and quite possibly for ever.

If you do decide to continue playing, pick an amount of money you're prepared to lose without worrying about it. Put it aside as your bankroll. For the next year follow the following rule rigidly: Your buy-in for each session is 2% of your current bankroll. Find a game appropriate to that buy-in (you can round the figure if you like, as long as you don't use this as an excuse to buy in bigger, e.g. buying in for $50 instead of $46.58 is OK - buying in for $100 instead of $46.58 is not).

If you're a losing player, this money will last you about 100 buy-ins or so (obviously the precise number depends on how bad you are!), but you will lose it. Best to give up at that point, or play microlimits for fun with money you expect to lose. If you are a winning player, your bankroll will slowly rise and you can review the 2% limit after a year (it may turn out to be too conservative, some would advocate 5%, but in your case I think small is the best starting policy).

One more thing...I still think giving up for good is probably best, but be aware of your problem because it might just resurface in other areas of your life if you stop playing poker.