Thread: AK flop A or K
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: AK flop A or K

I have studied the hands extensively, and have recently read the Small Stakes Hold'em book by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth. I made few errors, where if put in the situation again, I would do it again. I had bad outdraws by bad players costing me the biggest pots IE: AK suited in BB, UTG (hand unknown) raises, bad player cold calls raise from middle pos. with 5,2 suited, next player calls with JJ, I raise and UTG caps, both the 5,2 and JJ call. Flop is AQ3, 3 suited. I bet out and all 3 call. Turn is a 4. I bet, and am raised. (The bad player had cracked my AA 3 hands earlier cold calling a raise and reraise with 9,4 suited, and filling 2 pair on the river, so I could not assume he wouldn't have 5,2 or 2 pair). I just called down. My other outdraws or beats are similar. The latest I have AK in late position and raise. The BB and one other player call. Flop AQ8 3 suits. BB bets limper folds, I raise, he reraises, I cap ( I think this is a correct play on my part) 4th st is a blank, but when he bets out, I call down. He had played Q8os from the BB.
I am adjusting my game. Why I posted in the probability section, is because I am curious how often you should expect to to be outdrawn when you do hit the hand, so I can determine how much luck has played into my losses with this hand.

I have won with AK a total of 18 of 38 times. If always played them aggressively pre flop, and did not fold any hands that would have turned up best at low limit tables (that were shown down). I was agressive on the flop a high percentage of the time (probably to my detriment on the coordinated flops), but folded a fair share by the turn if I was fairly certain I was beat, and/or drawing dead.