View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Who is the world champion?

[ QUOTE ]
I use to play some chess and in the chess world there was usually a world champion that was generally accepted by the chess players as being the best chess player in the world.

I know there is a world series of poker, but there is an element of luck in the short term and the winners of the tournaments are arguably not necessarily the best poker player of that poker type in the world.

So I'd just like to settle this right here, right now and come to a consensus about who is the world champion of texas hold'em poker at least and perhaps the champions of the other forms of poker like 7 card stud and omaha.

I suppose there is limit, no-limit, and pot limit. But since I play no-limit I guess that is my interest. Anyone know who the best no-limit texas hold'em player in the world is? Or any other forms of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're confusing the concepts of champion and best. We could vote, of course, on the best player in world. A champion actually wins something. In events that have champions it is very common that the Chamnpion is probably not the best team or player. Look at the NCAA tourney, look at golf or tennis...

But its much more satisfying to have a chamnpion, so our current system of declaring the WSOP winner the world champion is just fine.

--Zetack