View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Playing KK slooooowwwwwwwwwwww

evanski,

fwiw my two cents.

very opponent dependent, but unlike most online games, against the average ub 10-25 player i like the line. here you induced maximum action. you lose anyway if you're behind; by all the checking on an uncoordinated board you induced huge action, making KK profitable by dramatically increasing the payoff when you're ahead.

a key issue is how many were in the hand. many of the best players there (esp. in 25-50) get far more aggressive as you drop below 6-handed and especially in 2 and 3-handed games. in 9-handed games, they play far more tightly preflop but also mix it up with aggressive bs raises less often postflop. that makes sense for them because in 9-handed games most opponents play fewer hands preflop and thus are more likely to hit a commitment hand (especially sets) in a 9-handed game than in a 3-handed. so they straight-bluff much less longhanded.

one issue that can haunt you is the much higher variance. if you hit a run of natural downswing and then suffer a few set under sets, KK under AA with one short stack or othersuch problems, that experience can get you to play much more check-calling poker. it's like a viral infection of the psyche, and if you are vulnerable to it as i am it can really mess with your game, just like playing too long when stuck can. check-calling can work very well when opponents are very aggressive, but if overdone can kill you because you are put to big stack decisions without enough information, and you do not make enough on many of your big hands.

matt