View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Help a noob build his first computer and I\'ll love you forever

I've never built a computer and I'm pretty nervous about doing so but think it's the best way to go this time around. Any and all help you can give me, whether it's links or advice would be great.

I'm looking to build it about a month from now, so that gives me plenty of time to figure out the specs and order the parts. I'm looking to spend about $1000, no more than $1200-1300.

I use the computer for lots of things. Besides your basic word processing, web browsing, and chatting, I also frequently use Photoshop and Illustrator. I am not yet doing video editing although that's something I may want to do with this rig at some point. Poker-wise, I play 4-8 tables with PokerTracker and either PokerAce or GameTime+ -- usually also while watching a movie on the comp or listening to music, plus browsing and chatting. I also play games when I have time. I'm not obsessed with having a computer specced to play games optimally but I want to be able to play them with solid video performance (my current comp usually requires everything set at the minimum settings). I have 2 2001FPs so ideally would like a video card with dual DVI, and potential to expand if I decide to get a quad monitor set-up in the future.

I have an external DVD burner and an external DVD hard drive as well, both firewire.

I'm trying to think of what else would be pertinent here. Anyway, advice on building in general plus suggestions on specific parts or complete builds would be appreciated.