View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: good game of questionable legality in Ohio

As a fellow Ohioan and having general knowledge of the Cleveland and Columbus poker scene, here's what I say:
Don't make a big stink whether these games are legal or not.

Yes, the games are technically legal. Are they run following the guidelines to keep them legal? No. The house cannot make a profit; the rake goes toward the charity, say some high school band or some other fundraising, non-profit group. The location, such as the FOE or American Legion or whatever has to rent the tables and equiptment from the poker group. These expenses come out of the rake, if I understand the structure correctly.

Now, as for the illegalities of all this. The poker group may get a cut of the rake, rather than having a set number for how much table rentals costs. They may also ask for a cut for the dealers. The dealers are supposed to be "volunteers," therefore NOT being paid. The same is true for tips. Dealers are not supposed to accept tips. I've seen one of these charity games get raided by the state just because of all the behind the scenes illegal stuff such as this. The poker group had a game the following week, but tipping was strictly prohibited. Just watch other people around you to see what the tip status is.

As for what "good" money is for dealing, I'd say just take a look at the people who are dealing. I somehow doubt they're wearing designer clothes and sipping on champagne at the poker hall; they're more than likely to be smoking a Misty and missing a few teeth. It pays better than working a McJob, but consider the environment they work in: low limit, smokey, borderline-legal, underground poker rooms. I'm pretty sure a college degree will make you more money than going to dealing school and working on the weekends.