View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Moving Up Is Hard To Do

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice. I'm definilely dropping back. My win-rate at $1/2 is a bit pathetic. Even dismissing the first 10k hands as my "learning period", I'm still only barely above 1 BB/100, still trying to overcome my weak-tight playbook.

There's another deception going on in my head. Whenever I try to get more aggressive, I seem to lose more (and more often).

When I think I have the best hand, I usually don't. When I think I have the worst hand and it's checked-down or I call the river, sometimes I lose, but sometimes I'm amazed that I take down the pot with such garbage.

But this is all generalities. I'll get back to posting a few hands soon enough.

I'm a sloooooow learner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would focus mostly on preflop hand selection/aggression and table selection to start with. I think these are really fundamental to beating 1/2. Post flop I think value betting weak opponents is the most important concept, I'm always amazed at people with decent PT numbers who miss amazingly easily value bets. Aggression definitetly has it's place, and figuring out when/where to semi-bluff, raise for free card, raise for fold equity etc., is appropriate, and in particular which opponents against which it is appropriate. Just gotta play a lot of hands it will work itself out. Good luck.