View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Why did Jesus have to die?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is more accurate to say that God WILL NOT forgive sin apart from bloodshed rather than that he CANNOT if we are simply dealing with the divine attribute of omnipotence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats it. God didn't have to do it. Jesus didn't have to die for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is more to reality than an omnipotent God. The fact is that man is sinful and that God is righteous. This righteousness of God has as a necessary component the fact that sacrifice is necessary for forgiveness of sin in order that we might be reconciled to God. God's plan of the salvation of sinners required the suffering of Christ.

Act 17:2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
Act 17:3 explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ."

Jesus himself says:
Luk 24:25 ..."O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
Luk 24:26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?"

I understand that you do not accept the authority of scripture. I do and I accept that it is accurate in all that it says about God and his creation. Scripture says that the wages of sin is death and I accept that as truth about God's creation. I accept it when scripture says that the wrath of God can be satisfied by the sacrifice of his son for those who believe. Why did Jesus have to die? Scripture explains why and I have made an attempt at explaining it myself. To say that God didn't have to sacrifice his son carries with it more implications. Namely that the world would not be the way it is. Given that man is sinful and the wages of his sin is death, and given that God is rightous, it was necessary for him to put forth his son to save those who believe. My answers to the question why did Jesus have to die, is an answer based in the reality of our predicament as sinners in the face of a holy and righteous God. If you guys want to start from some other place than that, then have at it.

-Zapp