View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Tipping the Dealer in a Home Cash Game

I play in a regular game, where we have 1 or 2 dedicated dealers, usually player/dealers. No tipping occurs when the dealer is playing.

Some of the players like to play a higher limit game that I usually choose not to play. I will often deal the game for them, hoping for voluntary tips. I've done this a couple of times and I must admit, a couple of players a very generous. There was one time that I put some money down for a while when the game got short, but I didn't reach in the tip jar fro my startup stake, I reached in my pocket. Nobody objected at all, in fact I was encouraged. But I do think it would have been bad form to reach into the tip jar for my stakes.

One thing is very clear up front though: tipping is strictly voluntary - if it's worth it to you to have a dedicated non-playing dealer, show your appreciation. IF yo're not comortable with it, don't tip. If it were "expected" or forced, we'd likely be breaking laws.

Some hosts will provide snacks and again we often encourage players to chip in, but again it is strictly voluntary. We have agood group that pretty much takes care of it's hosts, but there have been a few time when the host has been stiffed. They usually stop providing goodies after that. But, donations are never required.