View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Default The Nuts... now what?

I thought about this for some time and although it might not be of any major importance, I'm wondering what others think.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Ks (a flush, ace high.)
UTG+1 has Qd Qh (a flush, king high.)
Hero wins 13.00 BB.
</font>
Ok, thats the hand. I'm interested in what you think about this:

At the river, I waited 23 seconds before betting, hoping to trick UTG+1. The board obviously 4-flushed, I had the absolute nuts and thought a bit about yielding the maximum result.

I tried to appear bluffing, by faking to fear his possible flush, and then after a while deciding to bet. He called me down so far, so I figured it couldnt hurt to give it a try. Maybe he tried to bluff me, or even had a flush, i was going to win anyway.

As you can see it made me another 2BB, at zero-risk. I'd say thats not too bad, although this situation probably isn't that common. He had the second-nuts, that really helped calling my raise. I'm not sure what players would do after they raised my "bluff" and get reraised, I suppose they would fold, or feel too committed and call anyway.

What do you think about using the factor reaction-time at the river to induce your opponents? Is it even worth thinking about or is it way to marginal? Any thoughts?

Oh btw, please tell me if you see another way I could've maximized this hand.

ps. 1st post yay *dances*