View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Newbie Games - I cant seem to win!

I'm gonna tell a story, so read it if you like, and ignore it if you want, too. But I think it could really help you. Someone I played with and I talked for about 2 hours about this subject...

I was running into some serious issues myself, and with a table that sounds just about exactly the same as yours.

I used to clean up, winning fairly consistantly. But, then, an aggressive play constantly won, so all of the fish started playing his way. Soon, it stopped becoming Texas Hold 'em and started becoming the All-in Bluff Game. Everyone called with everything. And I couldn't adjust. Either I would play selective but way too weak (afraid of getting cracked) or I would play aggressive just like everyone else. It worked sometime, but failed terribly in others. It was a crapshoot.

I was in a long-term slump, like a serious slump. 8 months long, barely winning once a month. I mean, terrible. The worst part was I really couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was in a serious, serious rut. The thing is, the loose-manacical table had "warped" my mind into playing like them, and it just never worked.

So I had a conversation with the aforementioned friend, who had the exact same trouble I did before he snapped out of it. And he asked me -- how do the fish win? I was kind of confused by what he wanted me to answer with, so he answered for me: they (A) bluff you out of the pot; or (B) suck out on you.

Now, how do you deal with those? (A) You play the premiere hands only. You will KNOW you have the best hand, and they'll bluff their entire stack at you. (B) Make it too expensive to suck out. Even if they do, it will cost too much and they will lose in the long term.

Start waiting for the ELITE hands (A10 suited and up, AQ off suit and up, or middle-and-up pocket pairs, basically, loosening up around the button and blinds) and make them pay dearly for their draws.

If you play correct mathematically, you force them to play incorrect mathematically, those fish won't have a chance.

Just some thoughts. Take it with a grain of salt.