View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:48 AM

Default 16 hours at Party ...

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Limit Omaha Hi-Lo scene, but following Buzz's advice ... I started playing the $.5/$1 tables at Party.

Bankroll start: $125
Bankroll finish: $200
Time: 16 hours/2 tabling
Win Rate: approximately 2 big bets a table/hr.

Some noob observations:

One table is too slow, but two tables is tolerable if you are actively surfing websites for more omaha advice, three tables will confuse when all those multiple, gapped straight draws come about.

Actually, one table will confuse when the above occurs.

Websites I recommend:

www.playwinningpoker.com
www.o8poker.com (also, check out the links section)
www.pokerlistings.com

And read everything posted by the Grandmaster Buzz.

Forget making fish lists. At these levels, they are all fish. Can't count the number of time I was raised on the river by someone holding middle pair ... I'm still baffled.

Many beginning articles talk about whether to raise or not. At these levels, its really quite simple. Try to get as much money in the pot as possible. That generally means limp/raise early, raise/re-raise late.

My first 8 hours were great at the table, then I loosened up over the next 4 hours after repeatedly watching middling hands win ... only to find myself losing terribly. It can be the most aggravating thing to watch top two pair win hand after hand ... only to cap the bets with your small boat and watch it sink.

The last 4 hours have been excellent, actually considering all the mistakes I made ... I'm surprised by the overal win rate. A solid player would have made double, easily.

Probably triple.

I approach the game differently now than 16 hours ago. Before, each hand I'd try to figure out the odds on every hand, hoping to find a hidden out to justify a marginal call.

Big mistake at these levels.

Just toss your weak and marginal hands, wait for a scooping or 3/4 opportunity ... then fire away. On this note, I'm most interested in PLO8, if the play is as bad there ... a fortune could be made.

Anyway, thanks guys for the help. Omaha Hi/Lo is a cool game. My only regret is that I scanned the various sites ... and there aren't many tables open. Party goes down to a couple at dead times. Absolute/Interpoker/Sultans all whither to nothing. So I think I might have to switch games to continue up in the limits.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Zim